The K Visa is for foreign fiancé(e)s to enter the United States to marry a U.S. citizen. It is also available to foreign spouses of U.S. citizens and permits the spouse to enter the U.S. to complete the immigrant visa process.

There are four types of K Visas:

  • K1 – Alien Fiancé(e)
  • K2 – Alien Fiancé(e)’s Children
  • K3 – Alien Spouse
  • K4 – Alien Spouse’s Children

The K-1 visa is for the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. K-2 visas are available for minor children of the K-1 visa holder. The K-1 visa holder may also qualify for a work permit upon arrival in the U.S.

The K-3 visa is for the foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen, not a fiancé(e).

In theory, the K-3 visa category is supposed to shorten the amount of time the spouses are separated by allowing the foreign spouse to enter the U.S. while waiting for a decision on a pending relative petition. However, in practice this process is usually longer and more expensive depending on USCIS processing times and the specific U.S. Consulate involved.

Call Negrette Law, P.C. for a Strategy Session: (619) 356-1448

The information provided in this post is not legal advice for your particular case.