Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, also known as "NAFTA", certain qualified professionals of Canada or Mexico can accept temporary employment with a U.S. company. Note: The program does not allow for self-employment in the U.S. This program was designed to promote economic growth by spurring competition in domestic markets and promoting investment from both domestic and foreign sources.
So, who is eligible for a TN Visa?
  • Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Profession is on the NAFTA list;
  • Position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • Applicant will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for an employer. Self employment is not permitted; and
  • Applicant has the qualifications, meeting the specific requirements, education, and/or experience, of the profession
What are the NAFTA Professions?
The list of qualified professional can be found at Appendix 1603.D.1 to Annex 1603 of NAFTA. Here is a brief list:
  • Accountant
  • Architect
  • Computer Systems Analyst
  • Economist
  • Engineer
  • Graphic Designer
  • Hotel Manager
  • Industrial Designer
  • Interior Designer
  • Land Surveyor
  • Landscape Architect
  • Lawyer
  • Librarian
  • Management Consultant
  • Mathematician
  • Range Manager/Range Conservationalist
  • Research Assistant
  • Scientific Technician/ Technologist
  • Possession of:
  • Social Worker
  • Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist)
  • Technical Publications Writer
  • Urban Planner (including Geographer)
  • Vocational Counsellor
  • Medical/Allied Professionals:
  • Dentist
  • Dietitian
  • Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)/Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)
  • Nutritionist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Pharmacist
  • Physician (teaching or research only)
  • M.D. or Doctor en Medicina; or state/provincial license
  • Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
  • Psychologist
  • Recreational Therapist
  • Registered Nurse
  • Veterinarian
  • Scientists:
  • Agriculturist
  • Animal Breeder
  • Animal Scientist
  • Apiculturist
  • Astronomer
  • Biochemist
  • Biologist
  • Chemist
  • Dairy Scientist
  • Entomologist
  • Epidemiologist
  • Geneticist
  • Geologist
  • Geochemist
  • Geophysicist
  • Horticulturist
  • Meteorologist
  • Pharmacologist
  • Physicist
  • Plant Breeder
  • Poultry Scientist
  • Soil Scientist
  • Zoologist
  • Teachers:
  • College
  • Seminary
  • University

What if I have been deported from the U.S. or overstayed a visa? Am I still eligible?

Even if you meet the requirements for a TN Visa you may not be admitted in that category if you are "inadmissible." Inadmissibility can be caused by a number of previous U.S. immigration violations including, prior deportation, unlawful presence, certain criminal convictions, fraud, or misrepresentation.

If you have previously violated U.S. immigration laws a waiver might be available. For a detailed case analysis contact Negrette Law before you apply. Failure to do so may cost you a lot of time, money and frustration with the U.S. employer looking to hire you